Why use WordPress for a website?
WordPress software is free. Once you install it, you have a bare-bones website ready to tailor to your needs. From there, you can use or customize an existing theme (color, font, and layout combination), install plugins for your needs, and add content. The site will be viewable on different platforms, and you can maintain and update it yourself. Or you can leave that responsibility with me. You have choices.
More about WordPress websites is on About WordPress.
Setting up a WordPress website
If I design and build a WordPress site for you, the process will begin with a discussion about your needs and your vision for your website. Who is your target audience? What do you want visitors to do at your site? Do you have any current branding that your website should work with? If you have a current site, what do you like and not like about it? What do you like and not like about other websites that serve a similar purpose?
We'll then discuss features, and I'll design the home page. When you're happy with that, I'll develop the rest of the site. Depending on your preferences, it will have most or all of these features:
- Your logo incorporated into the design
- Links to your social media pages
- A contact form
- A site search box
- Clear navigation throughout the site
- A color scheme that presents the image you want to portray
- Automatically adapts to mobile phones and tablets
- A unique design with an overall professional appearance
- Easy-to-manage search engine optimization for each page or post
- Google Analytics set up to track your website traffic
- Caching set up to improve page load speed
- Security options in place
- Automated backups scheduled
The above is a basic list. Your site may have many more features.
Your new site will be ready for you to modify existing content and add new content.
If you live in or near Kalamazoo, Michigan, we can meet in person to discuss your website. If you live further away, we can communicate by phone, email, and Skype.
What else does a website need?
If you don't have them already, you'll also need these:
- A domain name
- A web hosting account
- Email addresses and forwarders set up
- Web content
- WordPress website maintenance
You might also want these:
How much will this cost?
Contact me for a custom quote. Tell me your vision for your website, and we'll go from there.